A walk around the promenade and the lighthouse.
The jetty to the lighthouse has a length of about 800 meters, while the waterfront of the Venetian harbour is 1.2 kilometres which make it an excellent everyday walk.
Points of interest: Firkas fort, Maritime Museum, Küçük Hasan Mosque or Gialisi Tzami, Arsenali or Neoria (Shipyards), Great Arsenali, lighthouse, bastion of Agios Nikolaos.
The lighthouse we see today is one of the oldest in the word. It was built by the Venetians at the end of the 16th century and is reminiscent of a minaret, because it was rebuilt during the Egyptian occupation (1830-1840) in Crete. In the middle of the breakwater that leads to the lighthouse, a bastion with ramparts was built. It was named after Agios Nikolaos because of the church that existed there.
The dominant features on the coastal front are the Neoria or Arsenali. These are the shipyard areas of the harbour. Originally there were 17 Neoria but today only 7 of them survive. The Neoria were protective buildings where the Venetians housed their ships during the winter, to repair and store them. They are long and narrow vaulted buildings, with a gable end. They are, on average, about 50 meters long, 9 meters wide and 10 meters high.
In the middle of the harbour, there is the majestic "Great Arsenali", the westernmost arsenal of the second complex of barracks. This was an arsenal, a powder magazine and later became the residence of the Venetian commissioner. Today it operates as a venue for events and exhibitions, with an emphasis on Architecture.