ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO RELAX?
- Monastic tranquillity guaranteed even with a bustling city outside the door.
- Privileged location with good connection to main thoroughfares, parking and the city within walking distance.
- Exquisitely unique views.
- Exclusive, private outdoor areas.
- Large and comfortable living quarters.
As a protected part of Crete’s culture heritage, San Salvatore is ideally located with many restaurants, cafes, points of interest and the city beaches within walking distance.
In Venetian times this area was the western entrance to the old town, and today it still gives direct access from the old town to the main exit roads so that one can easily travel to the city, the airport, the immediate hinterland and the rest of the island.
The garden and cloister
Once you step inside San Salvatore and cross the medieval, pebbled walkway, you shut out the noise, hustle and bustle of Chania. The simple act of closing the door behind you instantly transforms the chaos of the city into the secure, tranquil, serene and meditative peacefulness of our bright but enclosed garden. Is it any wonder that the monks who once lived here knew this to be the key to the spiritual awakening they sought?
Exuberantly green all year round, and oozing the heady scents of jasmine, lavender, and many other aromatic plants, our garden is also the perfect get-away for many song birds and other small animals seeking to escape the dangers of the city. Among the ancient columns dotted around the garden, the cloister and the old well, many friendly little creatures find that much sought after, but increasingly rare shelter from the onslaught of the city. The garden, which can be seen from all levels of the monastery, extends its invitation for contemplation, introspection and inner peace to every corner of our luxuriously spacious and private accommodation areas.
The Venetian Harbour
From the highest level of this protected building, we look down over the Venetian harbour. This panoramic vista shows us the old, protective harbour wall with its Egyptian lighthouse and the bastion of Agios Nikolaos of Molos.
We can see the entire Gulf of Chania from the peninsula of Rodopou in the west to Akrotiri in the north. Motor and sailing yachts are constantly coming and going, while across the harbour the Byzantine wall embraces the ancient Minoan city of Kydonia.
Behind us, to the south, we should not be surprised to see the snow-capped peaks of the majestic White Mountains glistening in the mid-summer sun.
Our penthouse terrace is designed for complete privacy where you can totally relax and enjoy the magic of the colourful patchwork of nature, city and people which unfolding in front of you. The terrace offers a seating area for sunbathing, a roof garden, and even a space for your daily Yoga or any other relaxation therapy you might want to engage in.
For a more active relaxation, San Salvatore offers a collection of music and books. We serve breakfast, small meals and drinks in the rooms.
Services and amenities for your comfort & relaxation
- Spacious and carefully designed suites with comfortable living spaces. Living space with sea views.
- A good night's sleep: separate bedroom and living area, premium quality mattress, pillows and linen, blinds, individually controlled air-conditioning and heating.
- Outdoor areas providing privacy, views and comfort
- An enclosed garden (cloister), the heart of medieval monasteries; the ideal place for meditation.
- Relaxing environment: Sound-proofed rooms, soft colours, plants, herbs and flowers, a garden, a roof garden and sun deck.
- Stimulating yet relaxing activities: book collection on various topics: history, architecture, arts etc., music collection, drawing equipment, puzzles, board games, etc
- Friendly atmosphere
- Room service (food & drinks)
- Central yet quiet neighborhood
- Yoga & Aromatherapy equipment
- Beauty treatments